Skip to main content



Common Questions for Students

Common Questions for Parents and Guardians

Living on Hopkins Campus

What are your expectations/code of conduct?

Classes: Frequently Asked Questions


Common Questions for Students

I am homeschooled. May I apply?

Yes, we welcome applications from students who are being schooled at home. Adults in the student’s life, other than family, should be asked to submit the counselor report and a letter of recommendation.

I’m an international student. What English Language Proficiency tests are required?

You may submit ONE of these tests to satisfied the English Proficiency requirement.
TOEFL, ILETS, and/or Duolingo English Test are accepted as proof of English Proficiency for all applicants who have not attended an English language school for the last five years and whose primary language is not English.

Applicants should typically receive a minimum of 100 total for the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) with preferred sub-scores of 26 (Reading), 26 (Listening), 22 (Writing), and 25 (Speaking). A score of 7.0 or higher on each band is expected on IELTS, and a score of 75 or higher is expected for the DET.

If you have not taken any of these tests but have a documented certificate or other exam results you think could confirm your English language proficiency, please let us know and we will review what you have before deciding whether or not we can accept it.

If I can’t arrange an appointment with my doctor to complete my medical form before I arrive on campus, what should I do?

It is important to get your medical information submitted prior to arrival. If you absolutely cannot, please make an appointment before arriving with the JHU Student Health & Wellness Center.
If medical forms are not completed within 24 hours of student arrival, students may be dismissed from the program.

Can I go off campus during my stay at Hopkins?

If you are under 18, you will need to receive permission and will have to undergo a check out process. Those who live in Charles Commons (students 18+ years old) may go off campus.

Will the courses I take through Summer Session transfer to my home institution?

We strongly recommend that you check with an academic advisor at your home college or university in advance to confirm how Johns Hopkins University academic credits would apply towards your current degree plan. In order to transfer course credits, many universities will require an official Hopkins transcript. A course syllabus and completed class work may also be required. Whether or not the courses are accepted is ultimately up to the institution in which the student is trying to apply them. Any student who is planning to transfer courses back to their home institution should select a grading option of letter grade when enrolling in courses. It is important that you have an official copy of your transcript for the courses completed at Hopkins.

I am a student who was accepted in to a Foundation program to attend Hopkins. What is my application code?

Please contact the Office of Summer and Intersession Programs to obtain your specific foundation code.

Can I apply for Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is distributed on a need basis. Financial Aid applications must be accompanied by a fully completed program application, as well as complete federal tax returns, and are due by March 16th, 2019. Pay stubs are not accepted as documentation for Financial Aid. Financial Aid decision letters will be distributed by April 12th, 2019.

I am a current JHU student. How do I register for summer classes?

You may register yourself online via SIS.
Please review the add/drop/and refund policy as this is different in the Summer than the regular academic year.

What is the deadline to apply?

Johns Hopkins Summer Programs enrolls students on a rolling basis. However, due to the popularity of some summer programs/courses, we highly recommend applying as soon as possible. Students applying after May 31 will incur a late fee.

What are the application requirements?

Please visit our Application and Eligibility pages for more information.

How can I be assured of the safety and security while on campus?

Johns Hopkins University takes safety and security seriously and offers many services, tools, policies, and procedures to help maintain a safe environment on campus. If you have a problem or concern, we encourage you to report immediately to your Residential Counselor, who will then follow the appropriate protocols regarding your issue. In an emergency, or after hours and on weekends and holidays, you can call JHU Campus Safety and Security at 410-516-4600, available 24/7 or visit JHU Health and Wellness Center at 31 E 31st St, Baltimore, MD 21218, (410) 516-8270, available MTWR 8:30am – 5:30pm, Friday 8:30am – 5pm, Saturday 11am – 2pm and Sunday they are closed. You can also visit the Office of Summer and Intersession Programs any weekday 9 am – 5 pm.

What policies related to conduct should I be aware of?

Be sure to read the policy section of the website, both of which outline student responsibilities for conduct, attendance, and academic integrity. JHU Summer Programs puts safety first, and program rules prohibiting involvement with alcohol and drugs are an important factor in our effort to provide you with a positive environment for study and growth in the summer. This is why the program supports a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to illegal substances. Zero tolerance means that a student found to have attended a gathering where alcohol or drugs are present is subject to immediate dismissal from the Summer School. No Summer School costs are refunded.

Where will I live? What should I pack?

Be sure to read about on-campus housing and dining, your room, and more information for accepted  JHU Summer Program students. Students under 18, or those attending pre-college programs, will reside in McCoy Hall and students over 18 and not in the pre-college programs will reside in Charles Commons.

What do I need to keep in mind when making travel arrangements?

You are required to attend the entire course including the first and last class meetings. Check-in is the Sunday before courses begin. The dorm will allow you to check in as early as 2pm for your residential check-in, but no earlier. However, you may arrive at your academic check-in and tour the campus as early as 11am on the Sunday before the program start date. Please understand that JHU cannot take responsibility for students before check-in time on the Sunday of each check-in, or after 9am on Saturday after check-out. In the state of Maryland, minors (below the age of 18) may not check into a hotel by themselves. Please do not make arrangements to arrive before check-in or to leave after the check-out. For more information about check-in, see the Pre-College arrival guide, available in the spring. For those students who are over 18 and not in the pre-college programs, you may make your own plans prior to check-in or after check-out.

How do I get to campus from the airport?

If you are under 18 at the time of arrival, a shuttle will be available to pick you up. You MUST submit your arrival and departure details to the Office of Summer and Intersession Programs, via the Travel Plans Form found inside the application system, if you intend to use our transportation services.

Students over the age of 18 at the time of arrival must coordinate their own transportation.

Johns Hopkins does not provide transportation for those students over 18 who are not participating in our pre-college programs. Please make sure that you make these arrangements yourself.

What kinds of transportation does the school provide?

For all pre-college students attending a residential program, we provide a free shuttle service to and from the BWI airport to the Homewood campus on your arrival/departure dates. Additionally, there is a free bus service called the JHMI that makes regular stops every fifteen minutes at the JHU Barnes & Noble and circles around the Baltimore City area and will take students between campuses for any students in our summer programs.

Back to the top

Common Questions for Parents and Guardians

Can I access to my student’s application, records, and information?

In accordance with our policy and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), we cannot release information such as a student’s academic evaluations to family members or guardians. Except for information defined as “directory information,” no other information about students is released outside the University—including to parents, guardians, or family members—unless otherwise authorized or required by law. We communicate by email directly with prospective and current students—not with parents or other third parties. Please be sure your child checks email daily to ensure they receive important communications.

Will I be able to pick up my student for a short visit during the program?

Keep in mind that the Pre-College Program is an immersive experience designed to keep students intellectually and socially engaged throughout their two week stay. Students will have two to four hours of homework each night in addition to all of the social and co-curricular events that are available to them, so they will be busy! The student will miss out on activities and workshops, if they leave the program at any time.

What is the refund/cancellation policy?/How do I withdraw from the program and what are the consequences?

Policies differ depending on the program to which you have been enrolled. To determine your refund, please see the Refund and Cancellations Policy page.

Is there any important information specific to International students?

Please visit for specific information related to International students.

Who should we contact with a billing question/concern?

Student Accounts manages all tuition and billing and they can be reached at 410-516-8158

When will I receive a bill for summer tuition charges?

Statements generate the second Wednesday of each month, in the evening. Any transactions that happen up until then are captured in that month’s billing cycle and will be due at the end of the month. Anything that happens from Thursday on would be in the next billing cycle and so due at the end of the next month.

For instance, anything that was charged from February 14-March 14 is due March 31, and anything that is charged March 15-April 11 will be due April 30.


Back to the top

Living on Hopkins Campus

What time should I move into my room?

You can check in beginning at 11:00am. Please see our orientation page for more information.

What time do I have to move out of my room?

If you reside in McCoy Hall, you must move out by 9:00 AM on the Saturday after the last day of class. The BWI Airport shuttle service will begin early morning service at 7:00 AM. Luggage can be stowed until departure.

What’s in my dorm room?

In McCoy Hall, suites comprised of two or three bedrooms (with each bedroom being single, double, or triple occupancy), that share a bathroom and kitchenette; air conditioned building McCoy Hall sits directly across the street from Wolman Hall and the layout is similar to that of Wolman. A security office is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the main lobby. Guests must sign in and be escorted into the building by a resident host. For more information, please click McCoy Hall at In Charles Commons, every resident has their own private room and shares a kitchenette with their suitemates. All four person and most two person suites also include a furnished living room. Within two person suites, residents share one bathroom and within four person suites residents share two bathrooms in the unit. Each two person suite is equipped with a small kitchenette which has a compact refrigerator, sink, and two stovetop burners. Four person suites have the same amenities with the bonus of a full sized rather than compact refrigerator. Residents in each wing share a common lounge equipped with comfortable chairs, couches, and a color TV with cable. A security officer is on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on the third floor bridge between the two buildings. All residents must pass through security turnstiles in order to access the residential floors of the buildings. Guests must sign in and be escorted into the building by a resident host. The Charles Common’s mailroom is conveniently located just inside the entrance of the Charles Building. For more information about Charles Commons, please visit the JHU housing website.

Are the dorms co-ed?

Pre-College men and women residing at McCoy are housed in single-sex suites; however, the male/female areas do connect. Residents are not allowed to enter the halls or rooms of students of the opposite gender.

May I have a relative/friend as an overnight guest?

Overnight visits are not permitted.

Back to the top

What are the expectations/code of conduct?

Can I choose my roommate?

For those residing in McCoy Hall, roommates are only assigned by the program and residence staff. You will live with another high school student attending our programs. Without exception, no roommate requests will be considered.

Will I have a curfew?

For those residing in McCoy Hall, students must be on campus by 11:00pm and in their rooms by 12:00am midnight every night. There will be a room check by a residential counselor.

What type of supervision will I have?

For those residing in McCoy Hall, students will be supervised by a team consisting of coordinators and residential advisors. Instructors and staff supervise students on JHU-sponsored off-campus activities. Students are escorted to/from the dorm to class or to the dining halls, library or Athletic Center only at the beginning of the program. They are free to walk the campus; however, students are not to leave campus without first signing out.

Should I bring any athletic gear?

Pre-College students have access to the indoor and outdoor tracks, workout facilities, and climbing wall in the Athletic Center. Students should bring their own combination lock and towels. Some equipment (such as volleyballs and basketballs) is provided.

Should I bring such items as: television/ stereo/musical instrument?

Students should leave their TV’s and large stereo systems at home as there will be so many other activities! When listening to music, we ask that students use earphones or keep the volume at a reasonable level since others may be studying or sleeping. Students can bring their musical instruments as many of their classmates are talented musicians and may want to form a group.

Where do I take my meals?

Meals are served in the Fresh Food Café dining hall and are included in your residential package. They will begin with the dinner on the day you check in and will end with breakfast on the Saturday of your check out date. If you are a Pre-College student, meals will be provided or purchased by the staff during off-campus sponsored activities.

How much money should I bring with me?

Discover Hopkins meals and scheduled field trips are included in the program cost, unless otherwise noted, but students will need pocket money for snacks, laundry, postcards, souvenirs, and any activities that are not part of the program. We recommend bringing $50 plus per week for these expenses in addition to about $200 for textbooks.

What if I want to visit family and friends outside of JHU?

For students living in McCoy Hall, parents must request permission at least 24 hours in advance if their student plans an overnight visit to friends or relatives in the Baltimore area. Please provide the names, contact information, and dates of the visit in your written parental request. An online form is available and must be signed by the parents and/or legal guardian for this purpose. When leaving the campus of the Johns Hopkins University during the day or evening, students are required to notify a Resident Counselor by signing out and in upon their departure and return to campus.

What if I want to head off campus on a non-JHU sponsored event?

For students living in McCoy Hall, when leaving the campus of the Johns Hopkins University during the day or evening, students are required to notify residence hall staff by signing out and in upon departure/ return to campus.

What if my friends and family want to write to me or send me a package?

All mail should be addressed as follows: Student’s Name, Pre-College Summer Program, Johns Hopkins University – McCoy Hall 3339 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218. For those living at Charles Commons, the address is 3301 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218.

What do you recommend I bring?

Laundry bag and laundry detergent; Clip-on reading light, for reading in bed; Alarm clock; Your own pillow and extra towels; Hangers; Your medical insurance card; Cell phone or calling card to call home; Shower shoes and necessary toiletries; Sunscreen and an umbrella; Bathing suit

Do I bring linens?

All bed linens, including blankets, pillows, bath towels, and washcloths are provided.

What should I bring for clothing?

Students should bring light, casual, hot-weather clothing, and some good walking/hiking shoes (more than “flip-flops”) for field trips. Also, bring some light summer rain gear for those late afternoon thundershowers and a light sweater or fleece for those well-air-conditioned classrooms. One formal outfit should also be included (with shoes) for the end of program dance.

Should I bring my laptop?

Students will have access to the personal computers in the Computing Centers and in the Residence Halls Computer Clusters. Students can also bring their own laptops if they desire as dorm rooms have Wifi.

What if I get sick?

The Residential Life staff can be reached at the Residential Life Office from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Residential Life staff is available 24 hours. For emergencies, please contact campus security at 410-516-4600.

What if there is an emergency and my family cannot get in touch with me?

If you reside in McCoy Hall, the Summer Discovery Residential Program staff can be reached 24 hrs. by the phone number 410-516-5988. However, in case of emergencies please contact JHU Security at 410-516-7777 (24 hr.)

Back to the top

Classes: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I login with my JHED ID?

Your campus computer access functions with your “JHED ID”. Please visit and click on “First time JHED user” in the login box. You should have received an email from the Registrar’s Office with the subject line: “Johns Hopkins Government ID”. This email contains information necessary to start your JHED access.

How do I access Blackboard?

Visit to access assignments and other information about your courses. Use your JHED ID to login.

What’s a J-Card?

The J-Card gets you into residence halls, the library, academic buildings, and other campus facilities. It’s also as good as cash: You can store money on your J-Card and use it to buy food and other items on- and off-campus. You can check status, refill your card online, on the app, or in locations around campus.

Is there advising available?

Students may meet with a Summer Programs advisor during the program.

How do I add/drop my course?

Please contact Rita Trulinos at to change your schedule. Please note, depending on when the change is made, a fee may apply. Please see the refund/cancellation policy timeline for more info.

What if I do not want to stay in the course I selected on my application form?

Students can switch classes before the Add/Drop Period deadline. All decisions must be made in consultation with your advisor at the Office of Summer and Intersession Programs. Residential students must maintain a two-course load for the entire length of your program, except Discover Hopkins. Please note, add/drop/cancellation fees may apply.

Will I receive a printed schedule?

No. You may view your schedule by login in to

How much will I need to study?

The summer terms at Johns Hopkins University enables students to take full-semester courses in just five weeks and therefore the courses will be demanding. Most courses require a minimum of one to two hours of preparation for each hour in class. Discover Hopkins and MiniTerm courses are two weeks in length and quite compressed in academic work. You can expect at least two hours worth of homework each night.

Is attendance in class mandatory?

Absolutely! Due to the intensive nature of summer courses, students should attend each and every class. It is important to note that often times one day’s worth of a summer course is equivalent to one week’s worth of class during the academic year. Your grade may also be reduced due to absence, depending on instructor’s policies.

What if I need help with a course?

Summer classes are intensive and it is easy to fall behind if you do not receive help as soon as you need it. Students should consult their instructor as questions arise. Instructors normally help students during their office hours. In addition, instructors can direct students to tutoring services and provide helpful study tips/ resources. Specialized tutoring is available, free of charge, in small groups. Tutoring is not a substitute for class participation or course work. Small groups consist of a maximum of six students from the same course headed by one tutor. Groups are scheduled to meet throughout the summer sessions and students must sign up in advance. Tutors review course material and encourage students to interact by asking questions and exchanging information. Resident Counselors may be able to help you with light tutoring, depending on the course. Remember, you must ask for help when you need it. We want you to succeed!

When do I find out my grades?

Grade reports are mailed out at the end of August to the student’s home address.

How do I get an official transcript?

The Office of the Registrar issues transcripts. Please follow the directions at Requests must be made by the student, and can be made in person, by mail, or online.

How do I transfer credits into my undergraduate institution?

You will need to submit an official transcript to your school advisor or dean’s office. It is very important that students keep their copy of the course listing along with their course syllabus. Normally, schools will request course information. For pre-college students, it is important that you request a copy of your transcript for you to have on hand. You will likely need to request another official copy of your JHU transcript for every college to which you apply.

Will I need to buy textbooks?

If you’re taking a Summer University class, required textbooks may be assigned to you; by logging into SIS with your JHED ID and viewing the course description on your class schedule, you can access a link to the JHU Barnes & Noble website that will show you if any textbooks are required for your course. If you’re taking a Discover Hopkins class, you should not have any assigned textbooks.

Back to the top