Skip to main content

Transcripts and Grades

Transcript Requests

To provide the best service possible and to maintain the security of academic records, transcripts may be ordered in the following ways:

Electronic Transcripts

Official Electronic Transcripts must be ordered online through the National Student Clearinghouse.

Your transcript will be sent securely through the NSC (a secure electronic alternative to the traditional paper transcript) in PDF format via email.

NSC charges a service fee per electronic transcript delivery. Any major credit card may be used.

Order updates will be emailed to you, or you can check your order status on the NSC website.

IMPORTANT Your signed consent is required to fulfill your transcript order. Follow the NSC directions to submit your electronic signature.

Paper Transcripts

There are three ways to order an official paper transcript:


Paper transcripts can be ordered online through National Student Clearinghouse.

The National Student Clearinghouse charges a service fee per paper transcript delivery.

Important: Your signed consent is required to fulfill your transcript order. Follow the National Student Clearinghouse directions to submit your consent form.

In Person and By Mail

Transcripts requested in person or by mail are handled by the JHU Registrar’s Office. For more information please contact the Office of the Registrar


Official grades are assessed as follows*:

Grade Performance
A Excellent
B Good
C Satisfactory
D Passing
F Failure
S Satisfactory: C- or above (applies to S/U graded courses only)
U Unsatisfactory: F (applies to S/U graded courses only)
I/Grade Incomplete course work: the grade that follows the I/ is the grade received if completion work is not submitted by the deadline and an alternate grade submitted
M Instructor has not submitted a grade
W Official withdrawal
N Ceased attending with officially dropping the course**

* Plus/minus grades are also used.
** An N grade automatically converts to an F three weeks into the fall semester.
Students are not permitted to audit summer courses.

Many schools do not accept a Satisfactory grade for transfer credit. Visiting students must obtain approval from the Summer Programs Office to change to S/U. A course may not be taken S/U to absolve a grade of F or D, and credits are not granted for S/U courses receiving a final grade of U. A course must be taken S/U to absolve a U in an S/U course. Hopkins undergraduates may take one course S/U per summer. Pre-college summer program students must obtain approval for changing to S/U from the Summer Programs Office.



The deadlines for changing to S/U are as follows:

  • Term I: Friday, June 7
  • Term II: Friday, July 12